BLOGGER TEMPLATES Memes

Friday, February 24, 2006

Rush Limbaugh has issues keeping up with current events.

Media Matters source
Enquirer source for Brown quote



This is a couple of days late as I just heard the story this morning on AM radio, but it's better late than never.

Apparently, during the February 14th broadcast of Rush's talk show, while commenting on the Paul Hackett deal, he made a flub about Ohio Congressman Sherrod Brown, mistakenly calling him black.

During the February 14 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Rush Limbaugh invented a racial component to explain Iraq war veteran Paul Hackett's departure from the Ohio Democratic Senate primary race. While reporting on Hackett's decision to withdraw from the Democratic primary race against Rep. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) for the seat currently held by Sen. Mike DeWine (R-OH), Limbaugh asserted: "And don't forget, Sherrod Brown is black. There's a racial component here, too," adding that "the newspaper that I'm reading all this from is The New York Times, and they, of course, don't mention that." In fact, Brown is Caucasian -- a point on which Limbaugh was corrected later in the program.


Now, I am also upset with the Ohio Democratic Party's decision to replace Hackett with Brown in the race for the Senate (what a nice "F-U" to Hackett), and I also have nothing against Sherrod Brown, but unlike Rush, I am aware of his ethnicity. At the very least, I wouldn't have been so flippant about making "a little mistake," considering that's not such a little mistake.

After accusing the New York Times of neglecting to report that "Sherrod Brown is black," Limbaugh was later informed of his error. He said: "Sherrod Brown's a white guy? Then, I'm confusing him with somebody. ... Must be somebody in New York [who] has got a similar name." Limbaugh may have been referring to Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY), who is also Caucasian.


It appears that Rush thought that "Sherrod sounds like a black name," and he didn't make himself sound any better when he confused Sherrod with someone else he thought was black, who also wasn't.

And it doesn't get any better (actual Rush-speak from his broadcast):

For those of you who continue to email me, even though I have made the correction -- let me make the correction again. I erred when I said that Sherrod Brown is black. I'm confusing him with somebody with a similar name in the Democratic Party somewhere. But we have -- we have corrected this, and I, you know, I'm not gonna apologize, 'cause I don't think it's an insult to be black. But -- but I did err. He is -- his is -- he is -- he is not black. He's one of these white European descendents in Ohio. He's the guy that -- that the Democrats have kicked Paul Hackett out of the race for the Senate seat in Ohio against Mike DeWine. And it really boils down to a matter of money, plus they don't like military guys in the, in the Democratic Party. But Sherrod -- Sherrod Brown has much more money than Hackett could ever hope to raise. So that's that.


Wow, it goes from "these black politicians" to "these white European descendents in Ohio." Unbelievable, Mr. Limbaugh! That's so much better than before!

Also, where did he get this idea that Democrats hate the military? Uh, please explain to me how John Kerry was elected to office, along with these people?

Brown seems amused by all of this:

"Rush Limbaugh obviously knows as much about me as the Republicans know about balancing the budget," Brown told the (Elyria) Chronicle Telegram for an article published Friday.


Well-played, Sherrod. Don't let Rush's ignorance get to you because, you see, he has this "thing" about successful black people in America.

No comments: